A History of Service
For Melvin Jones, a Chicago insurance man, the local business club he belonged to wasn’t enough. Its members had the potential to do more—to think beyond the business sector and address issues facing their local community and the world at large.
With the support of his peers in the Business Circle of Chicago, Jones organized a meeting among similar service-oriented groups from around the United States. On June 7, 1917, the assembly met in Chicago and assumed the “Association of Lions Clubs” name. Soon, a constitution, by-laws, objects and code of ethics were approved—and the Lions movement was born.
Three short years later, the Lions become an international organization dedicated to serving communities, meeting humanitarian needs, encouraging peace and promoting international understanding.
Today, the Lions Club is the world’s largest service club organization, with more than 1.4 million Lions working together in more than 200 countries to create a better tomorrow.
For over 75 years, and now with over 100 members, the Waconia Lions have come together in the spirit of service to give back to their local communities, the region and the world.